Thursday, July 4, 2013

Independence Day!

Today is Independence Day for those of us in the United States of America! And for those of us in Atlanta, that means the Peachtree Road Race, the largest 10K in the world! I did that one twice and decided it wasn't for me, but I think if you live in the Atlanta area, you should do it at least once!

Since it's Thursday, my training schedule calls for a short run. We have been under a Flash Flood watch since yesterday morning, and the rain at times has come down in buckets. I had to do my bike ride yesterday on the trainer due to the storms. I drove by the gym yesterday to see the hours for today just in case I needed to hit the treadmill due to thunder (I will run outside if it's just raining). I even considered if it was raining that I'd go ahead and do tomorrow's swim workout today and run immediately afterward, since I'd already be wet! But to my surprise, when I woke up this morning it wasn't raining! I headed out to the park and took my chances.

Today I tried out a new piece of gear: a handheld Fuel Belt bottle. I have previously tried a Nathan handheld and didn't like how it made me feel off-balance. I did not have that problem with the Fuel Belt bottle, I think because of the way it's shaped. It allowed me to keep my natural hand positioning. The only thing I didn't like was how my hand got sweaty next to the bottle, but I hadn't chilled my water first this morning. I think perhaps if the bottle was chilled, not only would it not make me sweaty but it might also cool me off. I will have to try that next time. I got the handheld to use during the run portion of the tri when I wouldn't want to use my iFitness belt.

The run this morning went pretty well overall, except for the third mile. I started getting a stitch in my side, and I wasn't sure why. It wasn't sunny, and not terribly warm. I was hydrating every mile. I was glad when that mile was over and I only had about a minute left to run before the cool down walk.

When I looked at Run Keeper, I was shocked to see my splits (Mile 1 includes the 5 minute walk):

8:18?? Wowsers!!
I guess that explains the side stitch in Mile 3, huh? If this app is correct, I was really pushing it. I need to find a race ASAP so I can try out the app and compare it to an official course. I may also try to get to a marked trail so I can compare the accuracy of the distance. For now, I'll take the 8:18 with a grain of salt - realizing that even if it's not totally accurate, it was faster compared to my previous runs so I was definitely pushing harder.

I was feeling mighty tough with my 8:18 on the way home. Feeling pretty tough overall, recently, because my workouts have been going well and I feel so strong and energetic. Then I got a glimpse of myself in the rear view mirror:

Poppin' tags?
Yes, I ran the entire run with the tag of my visor sticking out. That's a charming look, isn't it? And due to the side it was on, that means every person coming the opposite way saw it. ::shaking head:: Oh, well. It's the run that counts, right?? LOL

Happy Independence Day, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a great run! Good job! :0) Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete