Thursday, July 18, 2013

Numbers back on my arm!

Last weekend, I got a message from my friend, Cindy (who did the Coast-to-Coast challenge with me this year - wait, that was THIS YEAR?? Hard to believe that Tink was one 6 months ago this weekend!). She offered to lend me her Garmin Forerunner 410, since she is now using a Polar watch and HRM! For free! I was overcome by her generosity!

The watch arrived yesterday - yes, she sent it THAT FAST! - and I spent an hour or so figuring it out. It has the bezel on it, which my old 305 did not have. It wasn't as difficult to use as I had feared, but certainly not as easy as just using buttons! LOL

Of course, the watch arrived after my workout yesterday, and it was everything I could do not to go for a quick run and ride to test it out. Thankfully, I have a run scheduled for today and a ride for tomorrow (my homeschool group is having a New Members Brunch on Saturday morning so I won't have time to workout, so I bumped my workouts back a day and did some combining).

I did a short swim first, and then went straight to my run. It was awesome! It was SO NICE to have numbers back on my wrist.

Doesn't it look perfect on me?!?
(OK, part of me wants to comment that the display includes my 5 minute cool-down walk, which is why the lap pace is 15:45. And then I'm wondering to myself why it matters so much? Who cares if I walked and that my time is reflective of that? Ugh! Vanity is a horrible thing!)

When I got home, the Garmin automatically and wirelessly transmitted the information from today's run to my laptop via the ANT stick that is plugged in. Then my laptop popped up a little message which I clicked on to take me to the Garmin Connect website. There waiting for me was oodles of data, and a map, and the weather details! I played around on it for awhile and was as giddy as a little girl on Christmas morning!

Tomorrow, I get to try it out for a ride. It has already paired up with my bike sensor once so I hope that it will find it again easily tomorrow. In fact, if you look at the picture, on the bottom under the distance you'll see a little "X" which is where the bike sensor is - that's letting me know it's not finding my sensor today! Now I'll have data for my rides on the trainer this fall and winter!! That's sure to make them go by faster! :)

Thank you so much, Cindy! You really made my day (week/month!)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment