Saturday, August 31, 2013

Ahh, the hills, how I've missed you!

This morning I made it back out to Stone Mountain to ride my bike. And this time, I wasn't experiencing any delusions about the route being flat. This time, I was ready to embrace those hills!

Since I'm just starting to get over being sick this week, I left the actual decision to this morning. If I felt OK, I'd hit the Mountain. If I still felt puny, I'd go to the park nearer to home. Luckily, I felt pretty good this morning so I got ready for the drive.

The weather was dreadful this morning. 74 degrees and 89% humidity - fog everywhere. I should have taken a picture because you couldn't even see the top of the Mountain from the parking lot. That was unreal!

I headed out with a plan to do 2-3 laps. I also wanted to avoid braking on the downhills and to try to spin gently up the really big hill on the back side of the trail. The other hills I wanted to take head on.

I think did a pretty good job with these goals. I ended up doing 3 laps, and on the last lap I tried to get up the last big hill in the 2nd to last gear instead of the last gear. I made it almost all the way!

According to Garmin, I averaged 13.8 mph which isn't too bad! My max speed was 29 mph - yay for not braking on the downhills!!! And my fastest mile was mile 12 (out of 14 1/2) at 17.3 mph!

My plan for the fall and winter for my long bike ride is to alternate hills and long flat rides. And I'd like to slowly build up my hill rides. I have plenty of time. I just need to be patient! I really think that if I can get to the point where I can ride 25 miles at Stone Mountain and feel strong, then I can ride pretty much anywhere.

I would also like to do some running at Stone Mountain, both the regular path around and the trails. But I'm not sure how I'd be able to work that out. :) And then - oh yeah - bricks at Stone Mountain?? I would certainly be TOUGH if I could do that!


No comments:

Post a Comment