Saturday, September 21, 2013

Training the body and the mind!

Despite saying yesterday that I was going to do my miles on the trainer today, I debated in my head for most of the night if I should go ahead and go to the trail. A friend from Team Tough Chik commented that she was was going to be doing a 100 miler out there today, so naturally I felt like I was being a wimp. Also, I never train in the rain - and that is a problem when it comes to a race day where it's raining (as I learned during the PTC triathlon). Ultimately, however, I decided to stick to the house for a number of reasons. The main reason being that my left side/hip/glute/elusive body part was sore last night, and I was afraid that I'd get 17 miles out on the trail and something would hurt and I couldn't get back - and it's an hour drive from my house to the trail. So my rainy training day will have to wait for another day, and maybe a closer-to-home location!

I turned off the alarm when it went off this morning. I checked the radar quickly on my phone and saw that it was already raining on that part of Georgia where the Silver Comet Trail is, and decided that that was my confirmation! When I woke up 2 hours later, I decided it was time to get busy. I ate a granola bar for some fueling and then rolled and stretched. All of the kids were still asleep, and I was afraid my noisy trainer would wake them up, but I had 2 1/2 hours ahead of me and needed to get on with it.

My view. Charming, huh? 
My left "whatever" didn't immediately start yelling at me so I took that as a cue to continue my workout. I turned on my new playlist titled "Mind-numbing Trainer Music" and cranked it up.

I decided to keep it in a fairly low gear today. I did a 10 minute warm-up, and then notched it up one gear and left it there until the cool-down. This would be my first time tackling 35 miles and there was no need to make it harder than it needed to be.

It was hard mentally. And my legs were so tired from yesterday's run. I fueled every 30 minutes, alternating Honey Stingers Chews and Peanut Butter Sandwich. I had one bottle of Grape Nuun and one bottle of water. So I knew this time it wasn't a problem with fueling or hydration - it was just hard.

I decided to stop at 21 miles so I could use the bathroom. I left my shoes clipped in (like I've heard of triathletes doing to speed up their transition times - I was doing it so I didn't scratch my floors with my cleats! LOL). I went to the potty, ate the rest of my honey stingers, and drank a little water. Then I clumsily got back into my shoes!

The difference after that little break was remarkable! Mentally and physically I just felt better! Maybe this is why there are rest stops during bike races?

The last 14 miles flew by and I was done!

Just a little over 14 MPH - not too bad!
My left "whatever" isn't bothering me, but I am diligently rolling and stretching anyway! Tomorrow is a rest day and this coming week is a cut-back week so that will be a nice rest for the whole body!

It's nice to know that I can do it on the trainer if I need to - but I really hope the next time I need to do my long ride the sun is out and it's a beautiful day! :)

2 comments:

  1. Ha! For some reason I went into this article thinking you were talking about running. The mileage was BLOWING MY MIND until a realized you were talking bikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFLOL I am honored that you would even think that I could run that far!! :D

      Delete