Saturday, September 7, 2013

Two days of records!

It's been a busy couple of days for me! Yesterday, I ran the longest run without intervals since 2011!

7 miles - not the fastest ever, but it feels good to know that I can run this distance nonstop like I used to!


And then today, I did my longest bike ride ever! 

31.5 miles!! Hard to believe!
My legs are definitely tired now. On Thursday, I made the mistake of doing my legs workout (strength training) since I didn't get to it on Wednesday. I didn't consider that Friday and Saturday were intensive leg days! But I guess it's cool that I was able to do both of these workouts on tired legs.

The bike ride went pretty well. I messed up my nutrition and I'm pretty sure I was dehydrated. I haven't been very good with drinking water these days. I think I'm going to get some bottled water to make it easier on me to remember to keep my fluid intake up, especially while it's still so warm and humid outside.

Around mile 20, my left hip and glute started to howl at me. I drank the rest of my Nuun in case it was electrolyte-related. When the feeling started to move down my leg - first to my hamstring and knee, and then to my calf - I knew it was definitely nutrition and hydration related. I debated whether or not I should turn around, but I'm glad I didn't. After a few miles, it stopped altogether.

Around mile 28, however, my legs were flat-out tired. And my bottom was tired of sitting in the seat! LOL This was not only my longest ride in terms of distance, but also in terms of time. I was at the Greenway today and it was crazy busy so I had to keep slowing down - for people AND for deer! Lots and lots of deer today, which actually make me more nervous because you never know which way they are going to dart off. It was a beautiful morning, so I can't blame folks for getting out and enjoying it, but it made keeping a decent speed a little challenging. Since I was almost a mile per hour slower, that put me about 15 minutes longer in the saddle that I ever have been before. And I decided to ride today in my tri shorts since that's what I'll be doing in an Olympic distance triathlon. So yeah, the Queen was displeased by the end!

But all in all, I am pleased with these long workouts! I have missed being able to spend an hour or two outside getting my heart rate up! Yeah, yeah, I'm nuts! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment