Thursday, October 17, 2013

Swim update!

It dawned on me during my swim this morning that I haven't really updated y'all on my swimming.

I know what you're thinking - you haven't been sleeping nights wondering, "What is Niffercoo doing with the swim during this off season/base building time???" 

Well, now you get to find out the 2013/2014 Off Season Swimming Plan:

Increase overall swim distance. Slowly.

Ta-DAH!!!

OK, really, that is my plan but I have a few other things to work on in there as well. I would like to get my overall distance up to 2200 meters. Right now I'm at 1400, so that won't be too difficult.

I have also been working on breathing in different patterns than my regular bi-lateral breathing. I found that in the PTC Tri in August, when I got flustered and needed to breathe differently, it was too hard since I hadn't practiced anything else. So now I practice breathing on one side/every breath and every other breath. I do that on each side. And then I practice switching it up, in case the water is rough and I need to change plans on the fly.

I'm also practicing a little more breast stroke and back stroke. I needed those when I was flustered in August, but since I only did a few laps of each as a cool down, it was tiring. So I want to build up my stamina in those strokes as well.

And finally, yes, I am trying to build up my speed. I'm not terribly concerned about my swim speed but I think getting my heart rate up a little more when I swim is also a good idea in case I get overwhelmed again and my heart is racing - I'll know how to handle it better.

You may notice that a lot of what I'm working on is a direct result of my experiences in August! I love it when a bad experience teaches you the things you need to focus on next!

This leaves me with only the Open Water Swim to practice. You'd think it be easy enough to get over there, but I need someone to go with me and that is trickier! I think it will be OK if I can't really get over there to practice until the spring, but I would like to get in a couple of swims in my wetsuit over the winter! Hopefully I can make that work out.

I have a big weekend of workouts ahead of me - my longest bike ride and I am NOT going to do it on the trainer, no matter when I have to go to make that work! LOL And then Monday is my 5th Run-niversary! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment