Saturday, January 18, 2014

Indian Sprints are evil (but maybe a little fun)

The group run went pretty well this morning. Of course, that's Runner's Amnesia speaking, because immediately after the group run I was telling everyone who would listen that I was going to drop down to one of the lower groups. This is exactly how runners get into trouble. We too quickly forget that "I'm gonna throw up" feeling!

Today, at the group run, we did a 1 mile warm-up run, and then 2 sets of Indian Sprints for a mile each. I had never done Indian Sprints before - you line up and start running, then the person in the back sprints to the front of the group, and when he/she gets there, the person who is now at the back takes off and does the same. You do this over and over and over again.

The problem today (well, one of the problems LOL) was that they combined Group 1 and Group 2. That means the 6-7 minute/mile people, and the 7-8 minute/mile people (me?!) were together. Each time the Group 1 people got to the front, they didn't slow down the pace from their sprint, so it just kept getting faster and faster. Now, you may remember that I don't really do speed training. Especially right now while I'm building my base. So this experience was surreal. I was way out of my league! I missed 2 of my sprints in the first mile, but I only missed the last one in the second mile. Still, at the end of each mile, I felt absolutely horrible. Like I was going to throw up. I do not like that feeling. At all.

After the official run, some of the people did another mile to cool down and I went to my car to get my water bottles to prepare for my 8 extra miles.  I wasn't sure how it was going to go, especially since my legs were pretty dead. But it went OK! I did my 4/1 intervals and except for the horrible, cold wind in places, it wasn't very bad. Even running a 1 mile loop over and over didn't drive me nuts.

So now that I've had time to think about it, I'm wondering if I ought to hang with the fast kids the next time I go? I guess I have to see how I feel over the next couple of days. I really don't want to sacrifice my base building in the name of speed. I wish there was a way to do my long run on another day so I could do the speed drills with the group and then call it a day.

Frozen Niffer! 24 degrees with a 16 degree wind chill at the start! Brrr
Still haven't decided what to do about tomorrow's long ride! I suspect it will be a last-minute call!

No comments:

Post a Comment