Saturday, January 11, 2014

Part of the club!

Today was the first group run for Tri-ing With God from the Witness Through Fitness club. You may remember that I first got the notion in my head to do the Half Ironman from a comment made at the informational meeting for this club! So before I even went to the first real activity, this club has changed my life! :)

I arrived a little behind schedule because I didn't remember how to get to the park. This is the same park where my daughter played Special Needs Baseball a few years ago, but it's been awhile since I've been there and a major road project has closed/moved the main road I used to get there. So I arrived just about the time they were starting with the devotion and prayer!

Then we took a group picture, which I stole off their Facebook page:

I'm on the right side... I'm wearing a bright blue Sparkle Skirt over black capris!
 Then it was time for a warm-up run on the track around the football field. We were supposed to do this twice, but after the first lap, they stopped us because the bad storms were coming in quickly! Those of us who are newbies had to sign a waiver, and I talked to the guy who mentioned the Half Ironman and told him that I had a bone to pick with him for putting that crazy idea into my head! Then he introduced me to another lady who is also doing her first HIM at Augusta this year, and she hasn't yet done an Olympic distance, either! It seems there are at least 6 folks from this group doing the Half Ironman in Augusta this year!

The purpose of today's run was to put us in pace groups for the future group runs. So we all had to do a one mile run at whatever pace we wanted to do. I didn't want to go too terribly fast because Saturdays are my long run days. I ended up doing my 4/1 intervals, and ended up finishing in 9:45. I hope that will be a good pace. I've never been in a pace group before and I'm a bit nervous. I wonder if anyone else will be doing intervals?!

I had planned on staying at the park to finish the rest of my miles for the day, but the wind was kicking up and the clouds were getting dark, so I knew that I needed to get to the gym and run on the treadmill. I said goodbye and started my trek over to the gym. About 5 minutes after I left, the sky opened up and it stormed like I haven't seen since in awhile! I was so glad that I didn't get stuck running in that. While I was on the treadmill, the lightning and thunder were all over the place! Got the rest of my miles in and headed home! :)

I'm really looking forward to the next group run! I'm a little unsure how it's going to work with my extra miles each week. This park has a one-mile trail, and the idea of doing 11 loops on it is not thrilling! But since there are lots of other folks doing longer distances, surely I won't be the only person with this issue. I'll just have to wait and see how it goes!

It's not too late to join, either! You can send an email to them with your typical one-mile run time, and then join us at Bay Creek Park in Loganville at 8 AM on Saturday!






No comments:

Post a Comment