Saturday, February 8, 2014

This wasn't on the training plan!

I've just spent the last 5 days doing absolutely nothing. Well, I take that back - I've run a fever, cycled through the boxes of tissues, and swum in ... well, I can't really think of anything that goes with swimming. Anyway, yeah, I've been sick!

It started Monday night while waiting for my girls at dance. I had had a really great weekend of workouts to wrap up my Cut Back Week. I did a 9 mile run on Saturday with my tri club, 3.5 of it was doing speed intervals and the rest was a nice,slow 4/1 run/walk with a few of my new friends who needed to run longer. Then on Sunday, we had a beautiful afternoon for a ride and I rode the fastest I have ever done before!

Can you see mile 23? TWENTY miles per hour?!? Nothing was under 10mph, not even the two super hills. And the slowest was just barely under 11mph. I can remember when my average was 11mph on a mostly flat trail!

Then Monday came around and I was on fire to get back to some big miles! I ran 7 miles at the park with a 4/1 interval and I felt strong and happy. I wore a new Sparkle Tech skirt that I had received as part of a trade - the skirt I intend to wear for my 10th half marathon in one week! I was feeling like a super star.

Until I wasn't anymore. I'll spare you the details, but by the time the dance classes were over, I was starting to feel congested and dizzy. By the next morning, a fever was full blown and I couldn't even lift my head off the pillow. All I can say is thank goodness for kids who are old enough to take care of themselves, and that I didn't have to lift up my head to play Candy Crush, because everything was hurting too much all over my body to allow me to sleep. By Wednesday, the fever was gone, and each day since, I have been feeling better. Thursday I got dressed and took care of my family, Friday I drove the car and got groceries, and today I'm catching up on my housework and laundry.

Notice what I haven't been doing? Yeah, working out. It makes me sad, but I really want to be able to do this half marathon next weekend (did I mention it's my 10th? Oh, I did? A bunch of times? Hee hee) and I do not want to get back to working out too fast and end up relapsing. Honestly, today is the first day I have felt like I could actually work out - I was so weak or congested before now. And I always follow the "Bobby Cox" philosophy of returning to play after an injury or illness: "One More Day".

So that puts me returning to the big game on Monday. A whole week after my last workout. I can't remember the last time I took this long off. But I also can't remember the last time I was this sick. Wow, that was something else. It's been frustrating and disappointing, but I'm trying to remember the big picture. If I've learned nothing else in the last 2 years, it's that sometimes you have to take care of your body with rest and recovery so you can make it to the big day at all. I am spending this weekend getting some stretching and yoga in since I haven't even been able to do that much this week! It sure was nice to be able to bend over this morning and not have my head feel like I was going to explode! :)

I hope y'all have had a great week! And if you are doing the swim, bike, run thing this weekend - do a few miles for me, OK!? It's sunny and gorgeous here in Atlanta and I'm dying being inside! LOL


1 comment:

  1. Glad you are not rushing back to the workouts. You will be stronger for it!

    ReplyDelete