Tuesday, April 8, 2014

My birthday present!

I'm not sure if I posted here or not, but a few weeks ago, my Garmin fell off the trainer - the strap had completely split apart. I attempted to put a new strap on it, and my husband tried, and my Dad tried. Finally, I just decided to ask for a new watch for my birthday! I am really ready to move up to a triathlon watch that I can use in the water.

Now, there is the grand-daddy of triathlon watches out there: the Garmin 910XT. But at the moment, it costs $400. And that's a lot of money for someone like me who doesn't NEED all of the swim data. And I do NEED a few other triathlon-related things, so I decided to ask for the much more reasonable Garmin 310XT.

Here is where I'll note that my mom told me that I didn't have to ask for something triathlon-related for my birthday. I was confused by her statement. ;)

On Thursday, two days before my birthday, this little beauty arrived -





Mom gave me permission to try it out before my birthday, but I decided it would be great to actually use it for the first time ON my birthday for the Half Marathon.

It is very lightweight and comfortable on my wrist. I absolutely LOVE the function where it vibrates for the intervals! I didn't have any annoying beeping going on, and didn't have to worry about getting my intervals confused with anyone else's!

Yesterday I used it on the trainer for my bike ride and that was also cool. I actually have a "Speed" display! LOL I have 4 display fields set up for running and biking - but I may need to go to fewer fields and have the screens alternate. No, not because I can't see the smaller font with 4 fields. No, that wouldn't be it at all. It confuses my brain to have all the data fields. Yeah, that's it!

Today, I got to test it out in the pool! The first thing I noticed was that, in the water, this thing feels like it's a 200 pound anchor! ROFL I'm not sure what the heck that was all about but it was freaky. A couple of tri-folks who also have this same watch tell me that that feeling will go away in a couple of weeks, so that's good! Since the GPS doesn't work indoors, I did what another tri-friend suggested and hit the lap button at the end of each lap and then I went in after the workout and manually entered my distance (which I could get from the number of laps I completed). This was really cool and it allowed me to see which of the strokes are slowing me down. And now I have some sort of 'standard' by which to judge my swimming. Am I slow? Or am I absolutely, completely, ridiculously slow? (Really? It doesn't matter! It is what it is! As my swim coach told me when I first started: the triathlon isn't won or lost in the swim. I just need to be able to finish before the cut-off time!)

Needless to say, I am very happy with my new toy!! Thank you, Mom! :D




No comments:

Post a Comment