Friday, April 11, 2014

The day before your first Metric Century you should...

1. Rest up, hydrate, eat lots of carbs, plan your fueling strategy, and become familiar with the course.

2. Go to a rock concert, stand on your feet for hours, don't drink any water so you don't have to leave your prime spot on the barricade to use the bathroom, get home at 3 AM, and then proceed to take apart your bike for the first time ever.

I'll let you guess which one is the right answer and which one is the one I did.

Here are a few pictures to help you in your decision-making:

Broken Presta valve = a tire that will not hold air! I shall fix it!

I really, really, really need to clean my chain. This is disgusting, and embarrassing.

Woo-hoo! Gonna change my tire! I have the wheel off... rocking it upside down! I am awesome!
20 minutes later, I still can't even get the tire off the rim. I pulled up a youtube video and it looked so easy! I was on the verge of tears.

I loaded up the tire and drove to the closest bike shop. The kid working there had a really, really hard time getting the tire off so that made me feel better. So I insisted on finishing it myself, and it was SO hard. I don't have the hand strength that I need to make this work easily. Finally, the bike shop owner helped me, and I was on merry way to put the wheel back on the bike.

Except I couldn't. It would not go back on and when I did get it on, it would fall off. And if it stayed on, the chain was in the wrong place. It was horrible - and I started to cry. I would like to think that if I had not been out until 3 AM this morning then I wouldn't have cried.

But I'm not so sure.

And then my son tells me he has to be someplace in 30 minutes. And I cried some more.

So I throw the bike on the rack, put the wheel in the back seat, my son in the front seat and we rush to the bike shop. Son texts his peeps to tell them he will be late. He probably added, "My mom is losing her mind!" He wouldn't have been wrong!

Bike shop kid does not laugh at me at all. He just shows me how to get the wheel back on, and it's just not easy, folks. I'm just saying it - it's NOT easy! Then he tells me where I can clean my very dirty hands. And I do. And then my cadence sensor falls off. And he helps me put it back on.

I did buy a new tube for my saddle bag. I should also make them cookies. Maybe I will do that next week!

Got the son to his meeting. Came home and tested out the bike. Because I am riding my first metric century tomorrow and it would be bad for the bike to fall apart underneath me. Everything seem a little loopy at first but after a few shifting passes on both the front and back, it's back to normal. I put the sensor back where it can actually sense the things it's supposed to sense, because I am now an expert at that, sort of.

And now it's 9 PM and I don't know what to wear. And I only sort of know what to take to eat and drink. And I'm feeling quite a bit of anxiety. I'm hoping it's related to the lack of sleep. That part I can take care of, though, so I'm going to!

Check back tomorrow for my (hopefully) exciting report of my (hopefully) first successful Metric Century bike ride! :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment