Monday, April 28, 2014

The lessons

Official Results were posted this morning for yesterday's race:


I was 197th out of 211 finishers! Last place in my age group. I'm OK with that, really! I knew that I would be one of the last finishers when I checked out the results from the last couple of years. I had secretly hoped to come in under 4 hours, and I did so! :) Yay, me!

So, I promised I would talk about some of the lessons I learned during my first Olympic Distance Triathlon, and here they are, in no particular order! Some of these may be abundantly clear, and some may be related only to this race, but regardless, they are lessons and all such things are important as one grows as an athlete! :)

1. The wetsuit feels very constricting at first, but that goes away. Do not panic. Just keep swimming and keeping the heart rate under control. Make sure to practice in the wetsuit often.

2. I need to practice more cycling after swimming. My legs felt dead upon getting out of the water. I had not felt that during my sprint triathlons so I was unprepared for it. This swim was 2.5 times as far as my longest sprint tri swim. That is a huge difference.

3. I need to determine what happened during the run. Was it the warmer temps that caused me problems? Was it my nutrition/hydration during the bike? Was it my nutrition/hydration before the race? Not that it was "BAD" because I felt great coming off the bike - no typical weird feeling. I just had no speed left in me.

4. I need to get better control over my mind during the race. Lots of negative thoughts ran through my head and finally got the best of me in the run when I realized I had no speed. Mental Toughness is going to be a requirement for the time I will spend during the Half Ironman. If I don't get control of that, it will be a miserable experience. And I don't want that. My performance was just fine but my brain kept acting like I was failing miserably. Stupid.

5. Is there a way to get more effective in transition? I think there is always room for that.

6. So glad I practiced breathing on one side! I needed it when the water got choppy due to the sprint course joined up with the Oly course.

7. Stop expecting a huge celebration at the finish. Triathlon is more laid-back.

8. Bring my own recovery food IN my tri bag so I can start eating while I put my stuff away. In case there is nothing provided that I will eat, or in case it's all gone.

9. More hill training on the bike!

I'm sure there are more and I will continue to add to this list as they come to mind! Augusta 70.3 is FIVE MONTHS from today!!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on finishing!
    I nominated you for a Leibster Award http://unexpectedrunner.wordpress.com/2014/04/30/liebster-award/

    ReplyDelete