Thursday, June 26, 2014

Epic Swimming

If you keep track on my Facebook page, you know that I tackled a 1.8 mile Open Water Swim last Sunday. You also know that I promised to blog about it that evening and didn't get around to it. To say that things have been busy this summer would be an understatement. My top priorities are making sure my family is taken care of (which now includes getting my daughter to work and dance), getting my training in (because Augusta 70.3 is a mere 3 months away!), and trying to make sure that the house remains at least one level below "pigsty". Blogging, unfortunately, has taken a back seat. And I hate that because I really want to document this Half Ironman story in detail so I don't forget anything! So yet again, I vow to do better!

Now, about this epic swim.

We had a pretty good group to meet at the lake this week, and 2 husbands were taking on the kayak duties. One would go with those of us heading out into the lake to the place that I call "The Point" and the other would stick to the folks who were doing the buoys.

I was going to "The Point". I had conquered this route before, but this time the water was very, very choppy. Because it was such a lovely weekend, boaters were out en mass and it's amazing how they kick up such waves even when they aren't going very fast.

Part of our swim group (see the orange buoys?) and one of the kayakers!
It was hard and a bit overwhelming to fight against those waves. But I kept telling myself over and over to relax and not fight the water. And that I would be stronger on race day if I learn how to swim in conditions that are challenging!

We did 2 loops out and back to The Pointe, and then 2 more loops around the buoys - for a total of 1.8 miles. My HIM is only 1.2 miles, so I did well and above what I will need for race day!

I am so fortunate to have found this fantastic group of people to train with! They are encouraging and supportive (same ones I've been riding with) and have such a wealth of knowledge.

There are 4 of us who are racing this weekend - on in Chattanooga for an Oly tri, one in northwest Atlanta for a sprint tri, and two in northeast Atlanta for a sprint tri. I am so excited for all of us! The only way it could be better is if were were all in the same event!

No comments:

Post a Comment