Sunday, June 15, 2014

Who am I?!

Today I had the chance to go out to the lake again and do an Open Water Swim. It's been awhile since I've had time to get out there, and the last time I went it was a struggle. We were supposed to go out to a place I think of as "the point" but there were a lot of waves and I sort of freaked out (even in a wetsuit). The waves were crashing into my face. It was not a good experience.

So today I was a little nervous. It was raining when we got to the water (no thunderstorms, so that's good) and I was going without a wetsuit because it was so warm. I figured they would want to go out to "the point" because they have some big races coming up soon. I would give it my best shot, but knew I could come back to the buoys because a few of the group were sticking to the buoy route.

Everyone took off for "the point" and they were fast. But I just did my thing - and right away I felt comfortable, like I had when I swam out at the state park a couple of weeks ago. It was great. The rain even stopped before we got to the buoys. The further we got out, though, the more waves I could feel. But I remembered not to fight against them and that was successful. About 2/3 of the way out to "the point" everyone stopped to make sure that we were OK and then we finished our trek. We reached the point, stopped for a break (and I held onto my Safer Swimmer Buoy so I didn't have to waste energy treading water), and then headed back.

One loop down is 2/3 of a mile and I did it in just over 32 minutes! But more importantly, I felt confident and strong. We took another break and then set out again.

Here is an overhead shot of the area that I found online. You can see the beach on the left, and the parking lot. We start out from the middle cove that's right about twelve o'clock in this picture and we swim out to the right. If you look closely, you can see the 2 buoys in the right hand side of the picture, near where the shoreline pokes out at the bottom. We swam way out past there - you can't even see the "point" in this picture. Isn't that awesome??

The beach and cove where we swim!
On the way out the 2nd time, I found myself thinking, "Hey! This is fun!" And then I wondered who on earth I am! I don't even get into the water at the beach/ocean because I don't like it. And here I am choosing to swim for an hour in the lake water? And I'm enjoying it? Freaky!

Augusta's swim course is a river, which will be different because of the current and the river grass. I will get to swim this course during Tri Camp in August, but I'm hoping to be able to get there with some friends and the local tri club in July sometime! Only 15 weeks until race day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment