Saturday, August 23, 2014

The last big push...

Last week was taper week and my daughter's first week at her new dance studio. She is taking 10.5 hours of dance classes per week over 5 days, plus rehearsals. This new studio is about 15 miles away from our house which can take anywhere from 20-45 minutes to get to, depending on time of day and day of the week.

This week began the last "Build" period before my Half Ironman. It also marked the beginning of my younger daughter's dance and drama classes at our old studio. She is taking 3.5 hours of classes per week over 3 days. This studio is 5 miles away from our house and usually takes 10 minutes to get to.

These studios are in opposite directions. ;)

Next week, my older daughter also starts her outside classes one day per week (Human Anatomy & Physiology, and Speech/Debate). These classes are located approximately 11 miles from our house, in a completely different direction.

This schedule has required changing up my entire routine, and that includes my workouts. I've been working out in the afternoon/evenings while my older daughter dances. It's hot and miserable and requires me to deal with pop-up thunderstorms and different locations and fueling challenges, but so far, so good.

I also received some terrible news this week. My Ironman friend - who has been so inspiring and so helpful to me in my training - is going to have to miss her race (IMChoo) that is the same day as my 70.3. She has suffered an injury that requires her to put her training on hold. I would not be where I am today with my training if it hadn't been for her encouragement and support! Therefore I'm dedicating the rest of my training and my race day to her!

This week I experimented with nutrition, using the samples of Generation UCAN that I got from Tri Camp. The results have been incredible! I'm hoping that I can get more of it to try out in the next 2 weeks so I can decide if I want to try to use it on race day instead of what I've been training with all year! Yikes! And I've known about UCAN since 2012 at least, when my Disney running friends at ROTE started using it. I didn't try it because they said the texture was awful, and I have texture/food issues. But since I had a sample, and since I've been hearing so many incredible things about it, I decided to try. The texture is chalky but not nearly as bad as I had expected. And the results make it worth it! I'll keep you posted on my further tests with it!

Only 2 more big training weekends and then it's time for the taper! I'm SO excited. Race day is 5 weeks from tomorrow!!


No comments:

Post a Comment