Sunday, September 7, 2014

Peak Training Week is done!!

Today was the peak week of my Half Ironman training, and despite it being a busy week for my family and a crazy weather week in our area, I was able to get all of my workouts in. Not only did I get them all in, but they all went very well! I don't think I could have asked for anything better!

I was most concerned about my Brick workout yesterday (Saturday). I planned to do around a 50 mile ride followed by a 6 mile run - the longest brick I've ever done. I asked some friends who are also training for 70.3 to join me and we rode out in the country near my house and then came back and ran through town. So not only did I get my longest workout done successfully, but the time went by quickly with the company of good friends!


A smile! What more could anyone ask for after a long, hot brick workout?!

It dawned on me this afternoon that, while triathlon is an individual sport, it would bet a rare person who gets through the training for such an event by themselves. We are supported by friends who train with us. Folks who encourage us. Folks who hold down the fort at home. And folks who do more than one of those at different stages of the journey! I'm so thankful for all of them!

So 3 weeks from today is Race Day and now it's time to taper! My workout frequency remains the same pretty much up until the day I leave for the race, but the duration decreases. I will be working at 75% of my peak volume this coming week. Then the next week will be around 50% of my peak volume. This week won't be too bad, but next week will probably have me going stir crazy! :)

Ready or not, Taper Madness is the name of the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment