Sunday, June 28, 2015

MCM 2015 Training - Week #3

It's hard to believe week #3 is already done! Time is moving by so quickly and the Marine Corps Marathon weekend will be here before I know it!

I had to get a little creative with training this week due to signing up for a triathlon only 9 days before the event! I needed to get some bricks done to prepare myself for race day and to acclimate myself to the heat in the time of day I would be running. Mostly I run around dawn but that won't cut it when your triathlon pace has you starting to run around 9:45 AM. And the last couple of weeks in my area have found temps in the high 80s to low 90s already by that time.

Since the marathon training is still my main focus, I looked at my overall training volume for Week #3 and divided it among the week, being sure to keep the frequency of running days the same. I did adjust the volume for running a bit, however, because I was scheduled for a 7 mile long run on Saturday. I contemplated running it on Friday like I did last week before the 5K on Saturday. That worked out well since I needed a 30-40 minute run one day and a long run the next. However, in this case, that would put me with a long run on Friday and a triathlon on Saturday and that would increase my overall volume too much. I also knew that the effort and duration I would put in on Saturday would actually be longer than the time and effort I would have put in for a 7 mile run, so I decided to replace it. I obviously cannot make a habit of that, but since we're still so early in the training plan, I figured it would be OK.

This is what my training schedule usually looks like:
Monday - run, strength training
Tuesday - bike, swim
Wednesday - run, strength training
Thursday - bike, swim
Friday - run, strength training (upper body and core only)
Saturday - long run
Sunday - rest or open water swim 

Here is how I switched everything around for this week:
Monday - bike/run brick
Tuesday - pool swim, strength training
Wednesday - bike/run brick
Thursday - open water swim, strength training
Friday - run
Saturday - triathlon
Sunday - rest 

It worked out well so I will use it again in 3 weeks when I have my second and last triathlon for 2015. I am also going to move Friday's run to Thursday and make it a bike/run brick and then swim on Friday instead, just until that triathlon. After that, I'll be sticking to the schedule as much as possible. I know I will have to move the long run to Friday or Sunday on occasion due to my family's schedule, but I'm going to guard my training schedule as best as I can in the last few months leading up to MCM2015! We are less than 4 months away from race day now!

Training went very well this week. All of the twinges in my feet are gone now. I am being diligent about rolling and stretching as well as keeping up with my strength training. I think those things will be vital in keeping me healthy for the race. I am also continuing the heart rate zone training to make sure I'm not pushing too hard in my easy runs. That is such a challenge.

This coming week I'll be looking forward to the Peachtree Road Race - the world's largest 10K race! It was meant to be because I am scheduled for a 6 mile run that day! :) I am so excited! I haven't done the Peachtree since 2011!

Enjoy your training this week! Check back (or the Facebook page) for that post I'm going to write about finishing last!

No comments:

Post a Comment