Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Week 1: Cross Training!

I labored long and hard to decide upon a training plan. The last time I trained for a marathon, I used the same resource that I had used for half marathon training: Marathoning for Mortals by John "The Penguin" Bingham. But now I'm a triathlete and not just a runner. I wanted to keep as much of my swim and bike fitness as possible, not just use them as "cross training". And my bike fitness is best maintained with time on the road. And time on the road is easiest to get in a group ride. And my easiest way to get a group ride is when my group rides (duh!) and that is on Tuesday and Thursday! That also happens to be when the local aquatic center opens up early in the morning for lap swimming. So I can get both of my cross training activities done on the same day! Yippee!

I finally found a training plan for marathoning that has cross training on Tuesday and Thursday, and that was the free program on Coach Jenny Hadfield's website. And since she is married to The Penguin and co-wrote Marathoning for Mortals, I felt like I was right at home! :)

So, this being a Tuesday, it is my first cross training day in my training plan. I was supposed to ride with my cycle group this morning but the thunderstorms that woke me up bright and early sort of ruined that plan. So I threw on my swimsuit and got a late start in the lap lane. So late that I was able to do my laps to the accompaniment of Aqua Zumba! But the laps all went well and I felt strong.

It was sunny when I got out of the pool and my plan was to take the bike to the park to ride in many circles around the ball fields, but my husband informed me that storms were on their way, so I relegated myself to the trainer. I haven't been on the trainer in a very, very long time. In fact, I haven't been on the trainer since I gave up my trainer space for my dad to build my 16 year old dancing queen a dance floor! It looks incredible and she loves it.

I moved my car out of the garage and set up the bike on the trainer and hopped on.

Then I remembered the dance floor has a mirror.

Look! It's me on the trainer!
In one fell swoop, I realized that I am not the fierce triathlete on the bike that I always pictured myself! LOL Oh, well!

Took it easy on the trainer because my legs are sore from yesterday's strength training. The spinning helped with that a lot. (As did the earlier swim in the wonderfully cool water!).

On the plan for tomorrow is another run! I'm really looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment