Saturday, September 12, 2015

Race Report: Rise Up and Run 5K 2015

Shortly after my hubby and I finished the Braves Country 5K that ended on the warning track at Turner Field (the Atlanta Braves stadium), we were sent a code from Atlanta Track Club to save on entry to the Rise Up and Run 5K, which ends on the 50 yard line inside the Georgia Dome (where the Atlanta Falcons play football).

He forwarded me the email and said, "Sign us up!" LOL

I wasn't sure if we were going to be able to make it work since Saturday is a dance day for our Dancing Queen, but she was able to spend the night with a dance friend last night who took her to class this morning - so we were all set!

Yesterday was a crazy day and I was so tired, but I did sleep pretty well. The alarm went off at 5 and I started to get ready. Woke hubby up at 5:30 so we could leave at 5:45. Men. @@ On the ride down to Atlanta it was sprinkling. Of course it was. If it rains on marathon day, I am all set. I have run so much in the rain recently, it's not even funny.

Thankfully, the rain stopped before we arrived downtown and we found the parking lot with only a little bit of confusion from the directions. Still, we pulled into the parking garage at 6:30 which is what I wanted. We lucked out by parking right next to the stairs to where the start line was. I'm not sure we could have done as well if we had planned it that way! Took all of 5 minutes to pick up our bibs and shirts. Atlanta Track Club really knows how to put on events and keep everything organized well. Took the shirts back to the car, put on our bibs, and went back to the start line area.

Pre-race selfie!

Start Line

The new Georgia Dome for the Atlanta Falcons!

The current GA Dome - our race finishes inside!

The Atlanta Skyline before dawn
The porta potties were flushing ones. As in, you stepped on a thing on the floor and the toilet 'flushed'. It was dark, so I can't say how it worked - but it sure was cool. We made one more trip back to the car so hubby could finish his coffee - a perk of being so close to the start!

While waiting for our corral to start, we discussed strategy. Hubby had not been able to keep up with training over the summer, so he only ran the last 2 weeks regularly. He wanted to do a 2/1 interval - something regular - instead of running until he got tired like he did last time. Of course, I was all on board with that. We would take each mile slightly faster than the last. And he needed to keep his walking pace at a faster pace.

Keeping a slow pace was easy in the last corral - any pace higher than 9:30/miles. Let me tell you that is a HUGE variance. We had to move around a ton of slow walkers. But it kept us from going out too fast.

Hubby did very well! It was a cool, overcast morning which certainly helped. The course was a tiny bit hillier than the Braves Country one, but it didn't feel that way to him, so that's good!

We turned into the GA Dome and saw the field and the markers for the "40 Yard Dash"! This finish line sprint was going to be timed all by itself. I had reminded hubby not to go all out so he didn't have a heart attack or something. But then we got there and started speeding up and I find myself saying, "I'm going to beat you!" and pushing it! He pushed, too, but I'm better trained currently. He's much faster than I am normally! So I'll take my edge while I still have it. I'm certain that I'll pay for that sprint for many races to come! ;)

Our time was slightly under 39 minutes, about 30 seconds faster than in June when he was fully trained!

There were finisher's medals for this race - so my hubby got his first ever medal!




They were letting everyone hang out on the field, which was really cool. They had some fun football-type activities but we weren't able to stay too long. Hubby has a recording session today in the studio with his band! But I took a few pictures of the stadium, since this may be my one and only time to go inside it!








Picture with our medals that was not taken well! We should have asked someone! 
There were photographers out on the course - and I especially hope they got a picture of our sprint to the finish! We asked a photog to take our picture together in front of the Dome before the race so I will post it once it gets posted to their FB page! :)

Now, back to that "40 Yard Dash" split I mentioned earlier: it turns out that I was 2nd in my age group and 4th overall Female Masters in that split! I can't even believe it!

Age Group results for "40 Yard Dash"

Masters Female results for "40 Yard Dash"
I feel so incredibly speedy! LOL There aren't any awards for the dash winners, as nearly as I can tell! But I do have bragging rights on my blog and on FB, and that's enough for me!

Hubby is already asking when the next 5K will be. He seems to need a race to keep him motivated to run. I think we qualify for the free Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day, put on my Five Star NTP, so I'll have to check that out!

Will post the Week in Review tomorrow! Come back to check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment