Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Race Report: 2015 Marine Corps Marathon, Part 1

I had a simply fantastic weekend and I cannot wait to share it! I don't have nearly the time that I need to write a post that will do the events of the weekend justice, but if I don't write soon then I'm going to end up forgetting all the details and that will be worse! So I may leave some things out, but I can always go back and add some more things if I need to!

I flew up to DC on Thursday afternoon.

Check out this fantastic picture I took with my phone from the aisle seat of the plane! Probably the best picture I've ever taken! LOL
I was staying with my aunt and uncle who live in a suburb of DC on the Metro lines. It was fantastic staying with them! They are the most gracious hosts and I haven't seen them since the last time I ran MCM in 2011! The weather was gorgeous for most of the weekend - excepting race morning - and we spent a good bit of time rocking in a chair on the back porch talking with my aunt! My aunt picked me up at the airport - then we dropped off my bags at her house and hit the grocery store to get some food for me to have around the house while I was there! My aunt is as picky of an eater as I am so that is very helpful to have someone who gets it! We ate dinner at a Mexican restaurant that night and then came back to the house. I was beat so I fell right to sleep!

Back Porch Rockin'
Friday was going to be my busy day - Expo and then meeting up with my Disney running friends from Running of the Ears, most of whom I hadn't seen in close to 3 years! We planned to get to the Expo after the big opening rush was over, but we would learn later that we were unsuccessful in our planning! LOL My aunt works at the Pentagon so we parked there and took the Metro to the Convention Center. I was able to meet my aunt's co-workers that morning before we left and it was so nice to see where she works. You can tell how much they like her and how important she is to the staff!

The Metro ride was uneventful, once we figured out how to use the machine to purchase a SmartCard for me to use for my stay in DC. I'm not sure why we had such difficulty! LOL We had to wait in a long line that we later discovered was for bag check and wanding of our bodies! My aunt even had to throw away a lighter that was in her purse. Found out that folks who came later didn't get wanded and barely had their bags looked in. Oh, well! Once we got through that point, there was no line at all to get in and get my bib!

Oorah!! Mission Ready!
After getting my bib and shirt, we walked into the Brooks official merchandise section and saw the massive check out line! My aunt suggested that she could get in line while I browsed. That worked for me and I went to shopping. I knew I had to get a hat because my 2011 MCM hat is one of my favorites and I wear it all the time! I immediately fell in love with a hat, and then I found a couple of short sleeve shirts. There was so much gear I could have bought but I had a strict $100 budget, and prices were as crazy as the line!

This isn't even HALF of the line! 
I got a text from my ROTE friends that they had arrived and were in the crazy merch line! I went to find them and then my aunt decided she had had enough of the crazy runner expo and headed home. I stood in the line again with them and then we made our way to lunch, being very hungry runners by this time! Lunch was a fantastic, sort of fancy Mexican place near Chinatown. I was very impressed! After lunch we headed over to meet more running friends for Happy Hour! I had not really been able to do any of the meet-ups like this before, so it was nice that it worked out this time!

I left before most everyone else was ready to go, and Jill walked me to the nearest Metro station so I could make my way by train back to my aunt's house. It was dark and I was a bit intimidated but the DC Metro system is very easy to navigate and feels very secure. The only problem was when I got off the train, I was afraid I was in the wrong place because it all looked very different from the last time I was there. Apparently they have totally built up around this station and it's simply gorgeous! It reminded me a lot of the Atlantic Station area of Atlanta!

I slept very well again on Friday night - great to be banking some sleep since I likely wouldn't be sleeping much on Saturday. I had planned to hang out and rest up my legs on Saturday and that's what I did. We ran a couple of errands on Saturday morning with my aunt, including driving down to the start area to find my way from the Metro station to the hotel where I was going to meet up with my ROTE friends to walk to the start line. My aunt is a planner extraordinaire and wanted to make sure that I was familiar with my surroundings since it would be dark when I did that on Sunday. I'm so glad that we did this because it made it easy on race day - one less thing to worry about!

After errands we came home the scenic way where I got to see the finish line area and all of the beautiful fall foliage and watched college football while I rested my legs. I got some snuggle time with one of her three kitties! The other two boys were not as willing to snuggle, but were still very loving and affectionate to me!

Cozy with Dexter! 
Stanley checking my form during yoga

Maxwell striking a pose 
Saturday night dinner was pizza, of course, at a fun place called BJ's - which is a neat chain that is not in GA. Then I went back home to get packed up for the race morning!

Flat Niffercoo - ready for race day!
Time for bed... please check back tomorrow for Part 2 of my race report (aka the actual race LOL)

No comments:

Post a Comment