Saturday, January 23, 2016

Now, what's next?!?!

So, you may be asking yourself, "It's almost the end of January! I wonder what Niffercoo has lined up for her big goal in 2016!?!"

That's a great question!

My goals for the last 2 years have been big ones, to say the least.

2014 - I decided to tackle the Half Ironman - and the Olympic distance triathlon on the way. (And my daughter joined a pre-professional dance company which ramped up my Dance Taxi duties to the extreme)

2015 - I decided to overcome the Marathon Maniac monster that had been hanging over my head since 2011's failed attempt. I also rode my first full Century bike ride. (And my son graduated high school)

I'm proud to say that I have reached those goals! I worked hard! I trained hard! My family graciously put up with the long hours of training and with me being away.

So where do you go from there? The next logical step would be the Full Ironman, wouldn't you think? Absolutely!

Unless it's not.

I definitely desire to complete the 140.6 distance, don't get me wrong. But this is not the right time. Not just yet. Almost. Getting there!

So what are my goals for 2016?!

I think the best way to sum it up is "Enjoyment"!

In 2016, I want to do lots of training and try lots of classes and do lots of fun things. And I want it to be low-stress. Low-key! I want to have fun with my friends and see them at the start lines and finish lines and cheer them on and run or ride or swim with them and do yoga and try Barre class and just enjoy myself this year!

I want to run over a scary bridge and I want to do an inaugural RunDisney race and I want to enjoy every minute and not have the fear in the back of my head that I won't be able to do it. I just need a break from pressure! I've had a lot of pressure the last two years. Some self-imposed and some placed upon me and some completely imaginary, but regardless it was still pressure.

And this next year and a half is going to be big for our family - in just a few days my daughter will get her driver's license which will simultaneously present me with a lot of free time and also give me reason to be concerned and worried. I will have more freedom to train than I ever have! She will no longer be homeschooled by me starting in the fall because she will be taking all of her classes as a Dual Enrollment student. Again, more freedom for me! She will be graduating high school in a mere 17 months. Then I'll just have one student!

At the very moment when I'm seeing everything open up and getting easier, I'm realizing that it's getting more complicated. And then in a few more years, it will be all done and I'll move on to a new season of my life! A season filled with swim, bike, run - and as much pressure as I want to place on myself to compete! (And for my husband who will read this: a job! Yes, I promise I will get a job, too! LOL)

For 2016, however, I need to kick it down a notch and just focus on enjoyment!

So that's what I'm going to do! :)

I am not signing up for anything that, if I were to get sick or hurt or if something came up in my family's schedule, it would break my heart to miss it. I have already signed up for 2 half marathons, and that bridge race I mentioned earlier (10K), and the RunDisney inaugural event, and an Olympic distance tri. Sounds like a lot, and it is! But it's all fun! And I'm going to enjoy every bit of it!

Starting with tomorrow's Hot Chocolate 15K where I'm going to freeze my rear end off while the hills of Atlanta remind me that I haven't been doing any hill work for the last 6 months! :D And then I shall have chocolate!


No comments:

Post a Comment