Sunday, July 30, 2017

Dopey Challenge Training: Week #3

Last weekend's trip to Nashville and then returning to a 50 mile bike ride set me up completely exhausted for this week. I ended up taking an unplanned rest day on Tuesday so I could just stay home and get things done around the house. That was really the best thing because I was going to be working 4 out of the next 5 days and I wouldn't be home very much. Sometimes, you really just have to skip a workout or two and make sure your own mental tank is full, as well as the tanks of the ones you love!

So here is what Week #3 looked like:

Monday - Open Water Swim
Tuesday - unplanned rest day
Wednesday - 40:00 trainer ride; 4 mile run
Thursday - 1000 meter lap swim
Friday - 48:00 trainer ride; Pure Barre
Saturday - 10 mile long run 
Sunday - rest day

Yeah, I know what you must be thinking: "This doesn't really look much like a Dopey training plan."

Ok, so I'm going to spill the beans on my little secret, even though it hasn't been confirmed yet (which makes me a bit nervous, but I'm going to just go ahead and blurt it out).

I was able to get an entry to the Sold Out 2017 Ironman 70.3 Augusta in September!!

Isn't that exciting?! I wasn't going to say anything publicly until I received my confirmation from Ironman, which was supposed to be this week. I haven't gotten the confirmation yet, but I've been assured by the charity who I secured my registration from that Ironman has my name and email and will be getting in touch with me soon, so I'm going to go ahead and spread the word! 

So as for the training plan, it's going to switch from a Dopey training plan to the Super Simple Ironman 70.3 Training Plan that I used as a framework back in 2014 for my first Augusta 70.3 - this time I will be following it a bit more closely, however! ;) So this week I will be starting Week 9 of 16, which is a bit intimidating, but overall I'm really only behind on the long bike mileage. I'm doing pretty well on the swim and run miles. 

As it would happen, the only thing I'm really going to miss by switching away from a Dopey-focused plan are the Race Simulation weeks for July-September, but I will still get to do them in October-December, and I think that will be plenty. I will be running still on back to back days when I do brick workouts while I train for the Half Ironman. :)

I am absolutely thrilled about being able to race in Augusta again! I've been aching to do another 70.3, particularly this race so I could try to improve my performance. But I'm also not going to put a ton of pressure on myself since circumstances are different this time and my training will have to reflect that. I will train and race to the best of my ability and that will have to be sufficient! 

I can't believe it's nearly August already! Reece and I start back to school on Wednesday and her dance classes and science class start in two weeks! It's going to be a really busy month for me, but I know there are plenty of folks out there who have much more intense schedules than I do and manage to train just fine. I will have to pull some early days, like I did on Saturday when I did a 10 mile long run  at 5 AM with some ladies from my Moms Run This Town group, but that actually works out fine for me because I'm an early riser! 

Today I shared the following picture with a friend of mine who just completed her firs Oly Tri yesterday and has registered for her first 70.3 next spring: 



That's how I'm feeling right now. I'm a little scared and a lot excited! I had been hoping and dreaming and planning to race in Augusta this year and it sold out before I could save up the money. When this opportunity came to me for not much more money than a regular registration, I felt like it was just meant to be. No, I haven't had the chance to train all year like I did last time. And no, I won't have a completely open schedule where I can train whenever and wherever I please. But it will be OK! Training doesn't have to be perfect to be effective. 

And just think... in a mere 8 weeks, you'll get to listen to me ramble about doing my 2nd Half Ironman! Aren't you SO excited?!?






No comments:

Post a Comment